Thursday 8 October 2020

EDIT tutorial: Blood Moon Diana


Hello! As promised, I'm bringing you the step-by-step article of how I edited my Blood Moon Diana selfie that I took at home during quarantine. 
Just a disclaimer: I'm still a beginner in this and I'm bringing you only some basics you could start with. Since the day I made this, I've learned some new things and tips - great thanks to @dzejninn on instagram. ^-^
One more thing I feel like I should mention is that I'm using a graphic tablet - Parblo A610 V2, 260 mm x 170 mm. 
The program I'm working with is FireAlpaca, free and easy to learn art software. 


This is the picture I started with. Shot under a natural daylight, on my phone that was standing on a fragile ring-light, taken via bluetooth shutter.


First things first, I took the time to remove the background. I used watercolor and airbrush erasers, having a high-contrast layer underneath to see where I'm erasing.


After that, I found a nice picture I could use as a background. I do not own the pictures I'm using here, therefore I'm not allowed to use this as any kind of a print to profit off. Please keep in mind to use royalty-free or your own images when editing, if you're planning on profiting off it. ;u;


Next step is to do some Ctrl+U on the background layer (and of course resizing it to make it fit). Ctrl+U allows you to adjust hue, brightness and saturation - and in this case, I only adjusted the hue a bit.


Now I took brushes into my own hands and using red color, airbrush and Overlay blending of 3 layers of different opacities, I painted the moon, using 3 layers literally only to adjust it to my liking. :D


Now there was time for png clouds. I used some broken ones that came with black background instead of being transparent, but with Screen blending it went just fine. Here, I prefer Screen over Lighten because... somehow Screen makes the shadows a little bit brighter and colorful. 


That wasn't all though; here I clipped a new layer to the clouds, and using Overlay, I shaded them with desaturated red shades. 


Now it's time to shade myself, too! As you could see, the photo of me didn't really blend with the rest of the setting, therefore it's better to add some shading! 
I used airbush; reds and Overlay for the side of me that's close to the moon and Multiply + greyish purple for the other side. Although @dzejninn later told me a great tip I'll share with you: remember where is the source of your light, and then choose where to highlight and shade areas according to that. It'd have some more realistic vibe to it.


More shading, this time around my head and hair - so my wig blends more with my surroundings. Airbrush + eyedropped colors, and I didn't even use any blending here; only clipping to the main layer (me). On another layer above that, I made a light layer of darker red and used Multiply.


In this part I've drawn some stray hair - eyedropped color, no blending, one layer above the main layer and one underneath. The brush was probably basic pen with like 0,5 thickness.


Some more highlights to my hair, face and forehead! <3 Used my trusty (but tricky) Add blending.


And the cherry on top were my eyes. Mostly Overlay, red colors, and the bright shine is made via Add blending. 

As I can adjust more colors in the instagram editor only, my plans were to give it the final touches there - so some colors may still seem a little bit off. Once I post this picture, I will add it here as well so you can check out the full thing <3


Thank you guys so much for reading! I really hope this helped at least somebody. Editing pictures is, in my opinion, really fun!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your time and comment!

© Nautileen 2020. Powered by Blogger.

© Nautileen 2017 - 2020